Saturday, June 21, 2008
Posted by David Ballela at 11:47 PM
Saturday, June 7, 2008
A panoramic scene linking a panorama taken from high up in the park to one at street level (to the West). Look for the "hot spots" that link the two panoramas.
A panoramic movie taken at street level at Marcus Garvey Park (formerly Mount Morris Park-119th Street-124th Street, 5th Avenue)
Marcus Garvey Park is one of the oldest public squares in Manhattan. Central to the life of Harlem for more than 150 years, it has served as a meeting place for neighbors, a front yard and play area for schoolchildren, and a holy place for members of local churches. Known as Mount Morris Park for more than a hundred years, it was originally part of the estate of Metje Cornelius Kortright. The name Morris became attached to the site by the 1830s; possible sources include Robert H. Morris, elected mayor in 1841, and a family affiliated with a racetrack that once operated nearby.